The luna caterpillars are getting a little out of control… I have decided I am only going to keep 20 for now, maybe whittle that down to 10 as they get bigger. The rest, I am unsure of their fate, they will probably get mailed back to their collection locality, now that they’ve had a head start.
So this is my little crew of eating machines.
They needed a new container, something I can keep a branch of leaves fresh in, and also provide much more ventilation. So with some advice from my advisor, I came up with this contraption. I taped two containers together, cutting the top off of one and putting netting on top. I cut a hole in the bottom to put a stick through, and settled the containers inside a larger one, putting water in the bottom. The plant and a coffee filter (to catch frass) are now home to 20 adorable caterpillars gaining more colorful spines.